Monday, August 26, 2013

Cornell University Scientists can read your mind!!!

  This article was from a Yahoo news blog called Trending Now and was posted on March 15th, 2013. Nathan Spreng, a Neuroscientist at Cornell University has used magnetic resonance imaging, or MRI, to scan images people are thinking of. The MRI analyzes blood flow to different parts of the brain. It reminded me of the telepathic thinker in the space craft in Flash Gordon. When Princess Aura talks about thinking someone a message, it reminded me of texting and how people say they want to text someone a message,but a scanner that can see what pictures you're thinking of? If that isn't sci-fi, I don't know what is.
  Here again, science fiction meets science fact, or is science fact I should say. 19 volunteers were told to imagine four fictious characters and different things that the characters might do in certain situations. The article doesn't give any details about the MRI, whether it's different than the MRI's most people think of. I'm leaning towards yes.The article ends to say; don't worry, they can only read your mind if it's being scanned. So I searched the net to see if portable MRI scanners exist, and yes they do. I found an article in News-medical.net that talks about portable MRI's. They were created curtsy of  the Magnetic Resonance working group at the Fraunhofer Institute for Biomedical Technology Engineering. Unlike their much larger counter parts which require nitrogen and liquid helium cooling, these portable bad boys have permanent magnets that don't require cooling. So I take it that's because the motor is smaller, thus eliminating the heat that comes with larger motors. This article says these small scanners can't do full body scanning like the larger ones. So what are they good for?
  They're being used in Antarctica to analyze ice glaciers.I am trying to put into my own words, how the magnets of these portables, called pocket sized Nuclear magnetic resonance, or NMR's work. They create a smooth magnetic field, basically. Here is a picture of one I found.



Pocket-sized magnetic resonance imaging





 So, my conclusion is; yes your brain can be scanned to read your mind, BUT, what I would do is imagine a brick wall or someone giving the middle finger and we will all be just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment